Monday, June 18, 2012

Nice Ass

I am not ashamed to say I appreciate a nice ass.  In this case, we're talking  about  Equus Asinus, the Donkey. On more than one ocassion, I have found myself on the central coast of California in a wonderfully tranquil place, where a small herd of donkeys are living out their lives in peace and contentment.  I was there at the invitation of Michael Tobias and Jane Morrison,  two remarkable people, who share a special affection for Donkeys.  They call this place Donkeyville. 

Michael Tobias and Jane Morrison have written a wonderful book titled,  Donkey - The Mystique of Equus Asinus.  It includes an  overview of the rich historical record of the human/donkey relationship in art and in literature. The book provides much insight into the biology of donkeys and their genetic history, but perhaps most satisfying are the delightful passages in which the authors reflect on their own personal experience with Equus Asinus.

Shortly after their Donkey book was published, I received the t-shirt below from Michael and Jane. 



Here is a link to the book, Donkey - The Mystique of Equus Asinus





No comments:

Post a Comment