Saturday, September 15, 2012

Van's RV8

When I was a kid, what I wanted more than anything was to fly.  I wanted to be a pilot. I dreamed of flying for the Air Force.  I made models of all the current fighter aircraft in the Air Force Inventory.  When I reached my teen years,  I was devastated when I learned that I am red-green color blind.  That doesn't mean I see in black and white, but it is sometimes difficult for me to differentiate between close shades of red and green. A pretty common anomally, but at least at that time, it disqualified one from any prospects of flying professionally.  

Later on, after college and military service, I did learn to fly; first in gliders out in the California desert, then single engine Cessnas, and my favorite, the Bellanca Citabria.  I got an instrument rating, and was even on my way to getting a commercial license.  Then, the reality that I could never fly professionally, coupled with the rapidly increased cost of flying,  hit home.  I stopped flying not because I lost interest, but because I couldn't afford to do it often enough to stay safe in the cockpit. 

So here I am, hankering to get in the cockpit again.  Regaining my pilot proficiency, and having fun aloft is near the top of my personal bucket list.

Just down the Interstate, about half an hour from where I live, is Aurora, Oregon. There is a terrific airport in Aurora.  It is home to Van's Aircraft, a kit plane manufacturer.  They make a whole series of very cool, aluminum skinned, low wing, sport monoplanes.   The one I am in love with is the RV8.



It's got a tandem cockpit with the pilot sitting centerline.  It's fast and climbs out at 2,600 fpm. The engine most often used is a 180 hp Lycoming.   The RV8 is a taildragger, strictly stick and rudder.   It's designed to do aerobatics - loops, rolls, wingovers, tail slides -  total, unexpergated fun!





Here is the page on the Van's website that reports on the RV8.
http://www.vansaircraft.com/public/rv8.htm




This is a totally awesome flying machine.

Check out this video made by some RV8 pilots.. 
http://vimeo.com/4172767




No comments:

Post a Comment