Monday, September 10, 2012

Pin Ups and Hot Rods



I've been attending local classic car meets for the last few years,  photographing some very cool hot rods and custom restorations.  This past August, I went to a meet and talked with Don Owen, who built his own custom hot rod based on the 1927 Ford Model A.

Don Owen - T-Bucket Ford

The same day, I met John Brandt, who had a beautifully restored and customized 1940 Plymouth Delivery Wagon.


John Brandt - 1940 Plymouth Delivery Wagon


So, I arranged to to meet Don at Reed College early on  a Sunday morning to photograph his beautiful Ford custom car. I had two models with me.  My first time photographing a model with a car.  We got some nice photos, but ended up cutting the session short when the Reed College police came by and kicked us out.  Anyway, I like the way things turned out that day.



T-Bucket Ford - Model: Penny Lane

Two weeks later,  we set up a session with John Brandt.  I learned a lot from the first session with Don Owen.  We shot John's car behind a big warehouse.  With the non-descript building as a backdrop, it was easy to layer in a different background.   I also pushed the color saturation, contrast, etc., to get a distinct look for the best image that came out of that session.




1940 Plymouth - Model: Janessa Wright

 
Pin-ups and hot rods are fun.  Hope to do a lot more when the weather improves next year.







No comments:

Post a Comment