Sunday, September 9, 2012

The Aquarian Conspiracy

When I was young, and impressionable, and searching for a worthwhile focus, I stumbled across a book called The Aquarian Conspiracy. It was written by a woman named Marilyn Ferguson.  Actually, stumbled across is not an apt description.  This book came out of nowhere and ended up being a classic primer for the 'New Age' thinking that was taking hold at that time.  I just read that Marilyn Ferguson had passed away.  She actually died in 2008, but I just became aware of it.




This was a very popular book in the eighties, especially with young people.  Like so many of my counterculture  contemporaries, I was deeply troubled by the social, environmental, and political trends that were shaping life in the U.S. and the rest of the world. 

Marilyn Ferguson brought together bits and pieces of scientific, social, and economic research that pointed to what was wrong with the world. At the same time, she also provided a general idea of the kind of rethinking that was needed to transcend the ugly inertia shaping the future.

I have very fond memories of The Aquarian Conspiracy.  It was a big part of shaping the person that I am today.



No comments:

Post a Comment