Monday, March 26, 2012

The True Joy in Life

My favorite quote of all time comes from Irish playright and political gadfly, George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950). He is most famous for Pygmalion, a play that ultimately became the broadway classic, My Fair Lady.

George Bernard Shaw

A champion of social justice and equal rights for women, Shaw once wrote...

This is the true joy in life...being used for a purpose recognized by yourself as a mighty one; being a force for nature instead of a feverish little clod of ailments and grievances, complaining that the world will not devote itself to making you happy...
I am of the opinion that my life belongs to the whole community, and as long as I live it is my privilege to do for it what I can.
I want to be thoroughly used  up when I die, for the harder I work, the more I live.
I rejoice in life for its own sake. Life is no 'brief candle' to me. It is a splendid torch that I have got ahold of for the moment, and I want to make it burn as brightly as possible before handing it over to future generations...

That quote has been stuck to my refrigerator for more than twenty-five years.  I recommend it as  powerful motivation...



No comments:

Post a Comment