Tuesday, January 29, 2013

The Singularity in Three Minutes

Anyone who follows this blog knows of my interest in the ideas promulgated by the famous futurist Ray Kurzweil.  I've read a couple of his books. I follow his blog, and I've written about him and his work several times in this blog.


Ray Kurzweil


I just learned about a three minute video produced by an Australian illustrator named Lew Kielar.  This brief but very compelling video explains Kurzweil's contention that by 2045, humanity will evolve to a form of collective super-intelligence that he calls the 'Singularity'.  For you Star Trek fans, we're not talking about the Borg. Kurweil's vision is much more benign and life-affirming.

My issue with Kurweil has never been with the viability of his futurist prognosticans.  My concern is that, given the relentless speed at which humans are shredding the fabric of life on Earth, that we will never achieve the kind of technical nirvana that he believes is sure to come.

Anyway, Lew Kielar's presentation of the singularity is fascinating and worth a look.

Here is a link to Lew Kielar's 'Singularity' video...http://www.lewkeilar.com/videos/the-singularity-in-three-minutes/





No comments:

Post a Comment