Saturday, September 21, 2013

Empathy First


I was raised in the Methodist Church. As a young adult, I came to view religion as a force for both good and evil. I call myself an agnostic now. I like to think there is a higher force at work in the universe.  It's hard to imagine an entirely spontaneous beginning to life as we know it. But, I don't think any of the organized religions at play on Earth have a clue about how things really are.   They are almost entirely built on spiritual dogma that evolved thousands of years ago in times entirely different from our own.  It's amazing to me how intolerant some religious people are of those who don't share their views. Jesus preached tolerance, love, and forgiveness. So did Mohammad and the Buddha.  These days, there is a brand of religious leader that spouts an ugly gospel that has little connection with honorable faith.

The way I see it, if there is a supreme being, it surely manifests itself in the beauty and resilience of nature.  To me, the way to show respect for whatever it was that created us is to revere and defend the natural world. 

I believe the graphic below came from Tumblr. Somebody deserves credit for presenting this noble sentiment so effectively, but I don't know where it originated.  Anyway,  I'm happy to provide another forum where people can be touched by this eloquently stated idea.


 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment