Friday, August 2, 2013

Robert Radin - Much Loved Friend


The other day, we lost a great friend.  Robert Radin was a mench of the first order. We loved the guy.

A few days after his 90th birthday, on July 31st, Robert passed away peacefully after a brief illness. It is heartbreaking to my wife Jenny and me to lose our friend, but we choose to celebrate the great life he had.

Robert was a very successful businessman. He was loaded to the gills with charisma. Even more, he had the heart of an adventurer.  I was fortunate to meet him when his close friend, the well-known author/filmmaker, Michael Tobias, signed on to write and direct my company's first documentary, Element One.  If Michael was Don Quixote, Robert was his Sancho Panza.  Long before I met Robert, the two had been traveling the world together making documentaries.  

One of the best parts about being in Robert's circle of friends was being invited to the soirees he held regularly at his home in Venice, California. Robert had an amazingly diverse coterie of friends.  Going to his house always translated to good conversation, good food, and good people.  Robert loved being the host and sharing his good will and food from his backyard garden with everyone. 

Every time we saw Robert, he welcomed us with a warm embrace. Robert gave great hugs. His willingness to show affection for his friends and to receive it from them was boundless.


Robert Radin
 

When my wife Jenny and I were married in 2002,  Robert was my best man. In that same year, Robert traveled with us to China to work on a segment of our documentary, The Hydrogen Age.

Our most memorable time with Robert came in 2004, when my wife and I traveled to Montana with him and our friend, Bettina.  We spent nearly a week  in Glacier National Park and Western Montana.

Glacier Park Lodge, eating Montana cherries

Robert at  Glacier Park Continental Divide

Then we went on to Seattle and to Robert's second home in Port Townsend, Washington, where his daughter Carol and her husband Todd live. Robert had a special friend named Cabot in Port Townsend.
 

Robert with Cabot in Port Townsend


In 2006,  when my wife and I were living in Salem, Oregon, I was unexpectedly diagnosed with a tumor on my pancreas.  It was the most terrifying time of my life. Robert and our friend Bettina came up from California and stayed with us through the ensuing surgery and some time after. Their support met so much to us.

Robert and I were also shareholders in a clean energy startup called, Element One Corporation. We traveled regularly together to Boulder, Colorado for annual board meetings. Robert was very anxious to see Element One succeed, not just because of the financial reward, but at least as much because the core technologies the company is built on are likely to have a big role in the  hydrogen part of the  clean energy revolution emerging around the world. Element One is doing quite well these days.  I'm so happy that Robert knew his investment in Element one was headed in a winning direction.

Robert Radin leaves two wonderful daughters, Janet and Carol, and four granddaughters, all of whom adored him.

I also must recognize and express my thanks to Bettina Gray, who has been an important friend of ours and of Robert's for the last twenty years.  It was Bettina who was at his side during his last few days.  I also want to thank Juanita, Laura, and George for their devotion to Robert these past years.

A review of Robert's life must include recognition for his wonderful photography. A website showcases the amazing images he created during his travels around the world. The link to Robert's photography webpage is  http://www.radinphotos.com/RadinExhibition/Welcome.html

A talented filmmaker named Elias Wondimu made a wonderful, 20 minute video about Robert and his photography just a short time before his passing.  I urge the reader to take a moment and see for yourself the beautiful, loving personality of Robert Radin in this video. The link is http://vimeo.com/71773680

There's no way to adequately sum up a life like that of Robert Radin. He lived it to the fullest and made many, many friends along his journey.  He was warm, and decent, and loving. He was kind and generous, and great fun to be with.   I count him as one of the best friends I've ever had. I already miss him a lot. I shall have a warm place in my heart for him the rest of my days.




No comments:

Post a Comment