Friday, May 3, 2013

Madame President



It appears the stars are aligned for Hillary Clinton to become our first female President in 2016. I'm sure her election would be a very good thing. I do have some concerns. 
 
Hillary Clinton
 
The kind of President we desperately need is one with enough courage and conviction to lead us out of the dark, uncertain times we are in.  That's going to require a new paradigm for governance that unequivocally puts the common good ahead of narrow interests.  I like to think that Hillary Clinton can provide that kind of enlightened leadership.   I will not pretend that I don't have my doubts.   
I would not be happy if Hillary set up a center-right government. The same kind we had with Bill Clinton and now, even more so with Barack Obama.  Each of these guys is a seriously pragmatic politician.  Clinton was and Obama is saddled with a corrupt and dysfunctional political system that serves big money interests above all else. The legalized bribery built into our political process makes it impossible to fix the economy,  take care of our people, and protect the environment we all depend on.  My concern is that Hillary Clinton would be more of the same, delivering at best the bland and largely ineffective brand of incremental change we're used to and which is the basis of so much voter skepticism about lawmakers in Washington.
I say again; our system of elected governance is built on a model of legalized bribery.  Until that issue is addressed aggressively, we're screwed.  I just wish I felt better about Hillary Clinton being the kind of transcendent leader that could and would lead that fight for genuine change. Perhaps she will be.  Sorry to say,  I have my doubts.
Another politician, who also happens to be a female, would be my choice if I alone could pick the next President.  Elisabeth Warren is a first term senator from the state of Massachusetts.   She was a Harvard law professor before being voted into the Senate.  As part of the first Obama administration, she played an important role in reshaping our financial regulatory structure. 
 
Elisabeth Warren
 
Elisabeth Warren is one of the few populists in elected office who understands how Wall Street, the Fed,  and big money fiscal policy actually work.  She has courageously challenged the powerful financial cabal that resists every effort to redraw the  corrupted system of governance that is still the rule.
I think Elisabeth Warren would make an awesome President.  At this point, she is the only politician I would vote for over Hillary Clinton.
If you don't know who Elisabeth Warren is, please take some time to educate yourself.  
Here is a link to her Senate webpage...  http://www.warren.senate.gov/
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment