Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Peace on Earth

On this Christmas day, I am thinking about what I wish for the coming year.




While there is a lot to be thankful for, there are so many things that could be better.   First and foremost, I wish for humanity to come together and choose to put people and nature ahead of multi-national corporations and a handful of the superwealthy. I wish for our lawmakers to create sensible public policy where guns are concerned. Enough with the NRA and doing what's best for the firearms industry.  Let's keep guns out of the hands of felons and psychotics. Let's have background checks and a reasonable system for gun licensing. Let's ban assault weapons, cop-killer bullets, and high capacity magazines.  Let's remember the 30 people that are murdered in the United States every single day, most of them with guns.   In 2013, let's come together and pressure our elected representatives in Congress to put people ahead of the NRA and enact sane gun safety laws.

I wish for sensible energy policy that weans the American economy from depenedence on oil and nuclear power.  I wish for a government that puts its citizens first.   I have wished for all of these things for a very long time.   My wishing hasn't made much difference thusfar.  Maybe 2013 will be different.  Maybe 2013 will become a turning point; a life affirming turning point,  that offers renewed hope for the future. I hope so.








No comments:

Post a Comment