Sunday, August 12, 2012

Portland

My parents moved our family to Seattle from Kansas City when I was a senior at Kansas State University.  That was my first introduction to the Pacific Northwest.  When I got out of the Army, I returned to Seattle and enrolled at the University of Washington.  Seattle was a great place to live.  Still is, except that it's become a lot more crowded since I was there as a student. 

Much later, after many years of life in Southern California,  my wife and I decided it was time to pull the plug and return to the Northwest.  He decided to resettle in Oregon.  Our first stop was in Salem, the state capitol.  We liked Salem, but life was kind of quiet there after spending many years in the bustle of SoCal.  When my wife got an opportunity to take a job at the Portland V.A. Medical Center, we sold our house in Salem and moved to Portland. We found a home we liked near the Sunset light rail station on the West Side.  After four years of living in Portland, I am happy to say it is the best place I have ever lived.

Here are a few of my photos of the city...



Downtown with Mt. Hood in background



Downtown at night



Mt. Hood from Janzen Beach



Downtown, looking North




Steel Bridge, Rose Garden




Hawthorne Bridge








No comments:

Post a Comment